It is a wonderful thing. Only because of it can we have cars, toasters, coffee machines, clothes that fit and look pretty good on us and the heavy industry that creates so much more. Our carpets, beverage cans, cigarettes, and more all come to us because of something called mass production. It is a wonderful gift, but is it the panacea that so many unwittingly claim it is?
Look at our (American) education system. We want our children to be like all other children as they go through this huge bureaucracy we've created. Let the children go through as smoothly as the metal becomes a pick-up truck at the factory, and everyone is happy. Of course, we do complain about all the peer-pressure the children give in to, but we are the ones who chose to surround them with their peers!
Not only that, we have forgotten that indoctrination is when we give people the answers we want them to give us, but that education is when we help them come up with their own answers that they can trust. (From the Latin: 'in' - means inward; 'duct' means flow. 'e' - means outward. Indoctrination is a focus on what is flowing into the person, education is a focus on what is flowing out of the person.) The good of the student is not the focus of an in-doctrination program, as it in a true e-ducational program.
Even worse, look at our organized religion, at least here in America. Virtually every branch (yes there are those that do not partake of this, and there are too few of them) believes that it has the mass-production system good for all 'Christians'. "If only every part of the body of Christ would be like us, then the whole body would be great!" Of course we don't say that, but we sure act it. Most bible interpretation that I see come out of organized religion is generic, and is stated in such a way that one is to assume that it applies to all people, everywhere, in the exact same way at all times.
Just as the public school system has failed in America because of it's mass-production one-size-fits-all philosophy, so is organized religion a failure because it doesn't allow for the individual gifts and talents and struggles and paths of any one single person. The cry is "Follow my path, do what I did, take my turns and you will be right before my God!"
This becomes truly sad when it is applied cross-culturally. I know people that need to loosen up, and allow God freedom to move in their lives, and I know people that would greatly benefit from a heavy dose of structure. Some need to look at the world around them, some need to look within. Some need to lower their high opinions of themselves, while others need to realize that they are the chosen of God, one of God's beloved.
Let's end this be-like-me and instead try to help each one of us become more like Christ, and His Father. Let each one of us, while fellowshipping with each other, take the road we need to take. The popular path, the one 90% of organized religion is on, is a wide path. My personal path, is very narrow. It is for me, not for you. That's why it's so narrow!
Here's an analogy of what I mean: Let's assume that you live in heaven, that your home town, your situation is absolutely heavenly, and you want me to visit, and maybe even stay. Before you can give me specific directions to your home town, starting with what my next step should be, what do you need to know about me?
If you can't answer that, don't give me directions, please.
You need to realize that I have a starting point that is different from the starting point of others, so I will need a different set of directions. Since you may not have been to my hometown, and you may not have a quality map of it, you can not give me specific directions. You can be of great help, but not by dictating to me what I need to do to get to your town.
Let's find a common place, that I do not know how to get beyond, where you have gone, and then we can talk.
- The Apostle's Doctrine (March, 2003)
- The Battle Between Good and Evil (January, 2003)
- Heaven's Boot Camp (January, 2003)
- Cancer Cells of the Body (January, 2003)
- Born Again/Saved? (January, 2003)
- Harmony in the Orchestra (October, 2002)
- Carpenter's Tools (October 2002)
- Serve the Bride or Love the Groom (June 2002)
- David Seceded Saul (May 2002)
- Personal Relationship With Jesus? Hah! (April 2002)
- Literal reading of the Bible? (March, 2002)
- The Parable of the Sower (December, 2001)
- But Coach, you don't understand!
- A Light in Darkness is supposed to be surrounded!
- How are piles of manure and ships in harbor related?
- Should we educate using mass production techniques?
- Lenses stained by blood are red!
- Who is responsible for my salvation?
- What does the 3rd commandment really mean? (Updated Nov, 2010)
- If Satan is present in your life, what does that mean?
- Are you focusing on your spiritual growth? Oops!
- Daddy, why does an iron get out wrinkles?
- Why did John baptize people?
- True, but not helpful!