Living Word of God
Rightfully, many people deeply value reading the Bible. Truly, I believe it to be the most important book in the world. There are also people who value their relationship with God, aside from what the Bible provides.
So, which is . . . better? Isn't it logical to work hard to understand God by reading His Word? Don't those who claim to "hear God" either hallucinate or have an over-active imagination? Can we trust "voices" we here? Isn't Scripture all we need to know God?
Should we focus on understanding scripture or on an active relationship with God?
I think we should use scripture to get the answer.
The following is a list of Bible verses (those that quote Jesus are in red) which I have modified!
None of these are accurate!
Please use your copy of scripture to refute every one of them! However, if you find that you have been living your life as if these are correct . . . You know what to do, and with whom.
- Matthew 4:4 (NASB) But He answered and said, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT IS WRITTEN IN THE WORD OF GOD.'"
- Matthew 7:24 (NKJV) "Therefore, whoever reads these words of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock."
- Matthew 7:26 (NKJV) "But everyone who reads these words of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand."
- Matthew 13:19-23 (NKJV) "When anyone reads the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the wayside. But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who reads the word and immediately receives it with joy; yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for awhile. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles. Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who reads the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful. But he who received seed on the good ground is he who reads the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty."
- Matthew 17:5b (NKJV) " ... a voice come out of the cloud saying: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Read about Him!"
- Matthew 22:37-38 (NKJV) "Jesus said to him, 'You shall read the words of God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment.'"
- Matthew 28:19-20 (NKJV) "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that are written in scripture, and lo, the Bible is with you always, even to the end of the age."
- Mark 4:9 (NIV) Then Jesus said, "He who has eyes to read, let him read." (also Matthew 13:13; 13:49)
- Luke 11:28 (NKJV) "More than that, blessed are those who read the word of God and keep it!"
- John 5:24-25 (NKJV) "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who reads My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will read the words of the Son of God; and those who read will live."
- John 8:47 (NIV) "He who belongs to God reads what God says. The reason you do not read is that you do not belong to God."
- John 10:27-28 (NKJV) "My sheep read My word, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand."
- John 16:13 (KJV) Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not write of himself; but whatsoever he shall read, that shall he write: and he will show you things to come.
- John 16:25 (KJV) These things have I written to you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more write to you in proverbs, but I shall show you plainly of the Father.
- John 18:37 (NASB) Therefore Pilate said to Him, "So You are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth reads the Scriptures."
- Romans 8:14 (NKJV) "For as many as are led by the printed Word of God, these are sons of God."
- Romans 10:17 (NKJV) "So then faith comes by reading, and reading by the word of God."
- James 1:22 (NIV) "Do not merely read the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."
- Rev 3: 6 (KJV) He that hath eyes, let him read what the Spirit writes unto the churches. (also Rev 2:7, 11, 17, 29, 3:13, and 22)
If you have not checked these yet, I recommend you do so now. Notice how many of them are in red, because they are the words of Christ.
In conclusion, let me say that l know people who read scripture, yet do not treat Jesus as if He is alive right now. I know some who "are spiritual" yet care nothing for Jesus in the past, present or future. I also know people who know Jesus lives, who have a "gospel" to tell, and read the Scriptures because of their relationship with Jesus.
If you have any other "twists" that you want me to add to the list, please use the comment button below.
My apologies to those who own the copyrights to the various versions of scriptures mis-quoted above. I purposely changed the wording, to match the actions of many. In no way is any other person responsible for the blasphemous corruption of scripture above.